Why Do I Love Homeschooling?

I love it because I get to be creative. . .

Now that the weather is nice, it makes staying home to get the days school work done very difficult. The sun seems to beckon to me very early in the morning and the thought of staying indoors instead of enjoying the day is not at all attractive.

So what did we do this morning? We took school on the road.

First we drove around looking at the last of the flowering trees in our neighborhood and all the girls chose their favorite ones. We talked about the life cycle of a tree and how the flowers would soon be fading away and new leaves would soon appear (science).

Next we stopped by the local Starbucks for coffee, Vitamin Water, hot chocolate and a steamer. And as we sat there enjoying the smell of the freshly brewed joe, we completed a lesson on dinosaurs and Noah (history). In the middle of it all we ran into a friend who works next door at Land Rover and said, "hello." (Can we call that social studies since I explained his job to the girls?)

Next we gathered up our books again and went to Borders. After browsing for a while we found a quiet corner and studied the Sumerians for a while (history). And although the High School Musical books were somewhat distracting on the wall beside of us, we again had a successful lesson.

We grabbed some Chickfila on the way home and I insisted on fruit instead of fries - thus prompting a dialogue about healthy eating and making good choices (health).

Now it is time to go upstairs and plant sunflower seeds in tiny pots so we can watch them sprout (science).

This afternoon the girls have choir (music). All in all, I think we have had a really successful day of school. Now do you see why I love homeschooling?

4 comments:

Natalie said...

You don't know how excited this makes me to begin our homeschooling journey. I am sure there will be many challenges but I so look forward to teaching my children and learning with them!

Unknown said...

I thought homeschooling was going to be a drag and I was really not wanting my kids to turn out like "those homeschooling kids" that people talk about. So...initially I was way down on this idea....way, way down.

Now, even though I still think that there are some incredible benefits from public school (Amy and I were both PS kids) I have seen my girls flourish under Amy at home. It's opened my eyes that (if you can keep a good social outlet and balance) it can be done and done well!

Amy...you are awesome! I'm so happy you are our girl's teacher and mentor. Thank you for all you do for them.

Anonymous said...

Of course you know how much I love this....we did that the other day, gathering tadpoles from a ditch and now watching the transformation to frogs....I love this!!

Kevin Swanson said...

Amy, I think that is great. The girls obviously were learning. Who says that learning has to occur behind a desk? Props to all the homeschooling moms!