Tragic Hits the Chapman Family and the Reality of it Hits Me

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I absolutely love Steven Curtis Chapman. His music changed my life as a teenager and discipled me through my earliest years. I have followed him and his family for a long time - especially since their family started growing due to the amazing experience of adoption.

That is why tonight I sit here completely speechless. My heart is beating fast. Tears want to come. As I write I am in complete shock at the news that just came my way. . .



Steven Curtis Chapman’s youngest child died Wednesday afternoon after being struck by a car driven by her teenage brother in the driveway of the family’s Williamson County home.

Maria, one of the Christian singer’s six children, was taken by LifeFlight to Vanderbilt Hospital, which confirmed the death, according to Laura McPherson, a spokeswoman for the Tennessee Highway Patrol.


Click Here to read the entire story

I'm sure you can also Click Here in upcoming days to follow the story further.

Once again, as I write, I am struck with such a sense of grief for his family. This truly is one of those things I can't understand. This man and his family have devoted their lives to sharing the hope of Christ with the entire world. Their lives are a testimony of hope and faith and goodness. And yet, as I sit here bewildered, something inside of me says that even in this tragedy, good will come. Little Maria's life will count for something grand as the story continues to play out. But I am sure that for today the grandness is impossible for the Chapman family to see. Lord, cover over them with your peace at this very moment - especially Steven's son.

Lord, don't let me take for granted even a moment of time I have with my 3 incredible little girls. Tears. . . .

(Later tonight just in case you hadn't cried enough. . .)
As I have been "googling," I found that SCC and his wife, Mary Beth, just released a new book entitled, "Cinderella, The Love of a Daddy and His Princess." If you know his music, you will recognize the title from his hit song "Cinderella."


This is what the book description says. . .
As the clock strikes midnight, remember...
Each moment we have to spend with our children is a blessing from above. But as we cherish this chapter of life, we realize the pages of time will keep turning. Alternating between the voices of a father and his daughter, Cinderella celebrates the blessings of childhood, family, love and life. You will be enchanted by this modern fairytale that teaches us how to hand our own Cinderella her glass slippers and let her go."

It all takes on a whole new meaning now. . . more tears.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Girl, I'm so with you. SCC's songs discipled me through high school and college (just one more thing we have in common) and I feel this very personally. Praying alongside of you...