Father's Day

I am really bad about sending cards and gifts for holidays. The only holiday that I seem to be able to do well with is Christmas and that is because the stores and television start reminding us to begin shopping in October. So once again, today, another holiday has come that I have missed.

I don't do this intentionally. I'm simply my mother's daughter.haha From her I received the gene of procrastination. The difference is that somehow Mom eventually pulls off whatever she plans to do at just the last minute, and she does it in such a way that it looks like she has been planning for months. I have not perfected this yet.

So to my dad. . .please know that I love you very much! And know that you have been thought of today and every other day more than you know - card in the mail or no card. If I were not so far away I would run to Cracker Barrel and buy you a gift certificate or to Walmart and buy a container of worms so you could go fishing in the morning.haha But I doubt those gifts would mean very much more than the reassurance that you were not forgotten.

Instead, I will take time to write. I hope that you know how very lucky I consider myself to be your daughter. Today at church I looked around to see so many wives and mothers sitting alone. Though I sat alone with them, I was one of the lucky ones. Many of them have sad stories of horrible childhoods, divorce and broken marriages. The father void in their life can only be filled by THE Father himself. Instead, I have been blessed with an earthly father who has loved me and been there for me, supported me and encouraged me for my entire life. Even when decisions that I have made were not the decisions that you would have wished for me, you have never given me a hard time about them. You have allowed me to live my life and follow God my own way. And the fact that you are only a phone call away in the middle of it all means more than you know.

So today I thank you. Thank you for teaching me to ride a bike. Thanks for taking me to basketball practice as a little girl so that I could be a part of your life and see what you were all about. Thank you for sweating it out on the driveway in an attempt to teach me to play basketball even though I was always pretty terrible. Thanks for watching tennis matches that drug on for hours and for putting up with boyfriends that drove you crazy. Thanks for modeling for me how a husband is supposed to always love and stay together with his wife. Thanks for loving your grandchildren and teaching them many of the things that you taught me as a child.

Though being so far away from you and Mom is very difficult some days - especially on those days when you are dropping me off once again at the airport - you will forever remain close to my heart. Every time the gas tank gets down to the red, I think of you. Every time something in our house breaks, I think of you. Every time UK and Louisville play basketball, I think of you (and cheer all the louder for UK!!haha). Every time I hear another story of how a teenage girl has been impacted by her basketball coach at Dawson, I am proud of you.

Mom, I think we are both pretty lucky. Happy Father's Day, Dad!!!!

No comments: