Sabbath


New Year's Resolutions. . .last year I hoped to be able to say at the end of 2009 that I had established a solid and consistent workout schedule that easily flowed with life and became as natural as brushing my teeth - that's the best way I can describe it. On December 31 I looked back on that resolve and gave myself a big pat on the back. . .mission accomplished! This year I have a few other things that I hope to accomplish now by the end of 2010. I'm sure you do as well. But the most important life change this year for the Colon family is one simple, yet not so simple word. . .SABBATH.

As good Christians we have grown up with the vocabulary of this word for most of our lives. Some people hear "Sabbath" and they think "Sunday." It means we go to church. Others think of the strictness of it and imagine not getting to walk more than a few feet, work or lift a finger for an entire day. I admit that I have wrestled with what it means myself. Together Kevin and I have talked about it a lot. And the bottom line for us this year is that we know that the wrestling is for a reason, and that reason is because we need it. . .we need Sabbath. God intended it and we have to be faithful even in the craziness of our 21st century world - even in the middle of church planting - even when it seems there is no time to allow. We must figure it out and "do" it.

So here is what Sabbath is going to look like to us. . every week from Sunday dinner to Monday dinner (yes, that means we'll do school on Saturday's :-) ), we as a family are going to unplug - no phone, Wii, Twitter, Facebook, computer. We are taking a break from our "work" and the distractions around us and focusing on God and family and others. For us, Sabbath can't be a day where we lie in bed all day. It's gotta be intentional. It's gotta be slow but planned. It's about smelling the roses and connecting with the Father and loving on others in a way that we don't seem to do as well any other day of our crazy weeks.

I'm so anxious to see how God is going to lead our family as we try to be faithful to his call. I'm sure we will have lots of stories to share. I'm anticipating great things and lots of lessons learned and I can't wait to share them all with you.

And so, this year my new year's gift. . .I'm going to share our Sabbath's with you. And hopefully by the end of the year, you might find yourself inspired to get serious about Sabbath, as well.

This week we introduced Sabbath to our kids. We shared a meal together, unplugged and got good sleep, slept in, Kevin made breakfast, we gathered up the snow gear and headed to the mountains. Evergreen, CO, is about 45 minutes away and Evergreen Lake is the very best ice skating place we have ever been. Over dinner and on the car ride, we talked to the girls about what this time is going to be like. I think they are excited. Olivia said it best to Kevin at the end of the day. . ."Daddy, you were with us all day." So often we are with our kids or others around us, but not really WITH them at all.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the day. . .















2 comments:

Michelle said...

I believe this is my thing to work on as well, a Sabbath. I've been doing research and have a book on the way... Trying to figure out what this looks like for me. Right now I'm trying to be intentional about this for myself. Right now, my day is Friday...I've comitted to no laundry and no cleaning...trying to even make a meal the day before. Thanks for your post...blessings on your efforts to honor something God honors...a day of rest.

Amy said...

love your ideas about how to take a day of rest. my hubby is in church planting too and he has one day off during the week. we usually intentionally schedule some "me" time for both of us as individuals (i get the morning/he gets the afternoon) and then hang out as a family in the evening. i love your thoughts too. really like the unplugging idea :)