MLK Jr. Day - Sabbath #3

As you know by now, Sabbath starts for the Colon family at dinner time on Sunday night until dinner on Monday. This week we decided to invite some great friends to join us for a night at home to kick off the fun. Brain and Angela Weigner took a little stroll down the street and joined us for some pizza, smores and Wii. Then our entire family camped out in the basement for the night.

Breaking in the new fire pit with gooey smores and good conversation. . .





A little Wii Resort to end the night. . .





Fort building by Kevin and a good night's sleep. . .





Monday morning was Martin Luther King Day. We slept in a little too long and by the time we got out the door it was almost noon. Grumpy, grumpy girls who couldn't find their shoes or their hairbrush or their socks. . .wow! A holy day. . .yes, HOLY COW! For a few moments I actually considered calling it quits for this one, but I am SO thankful we persevered. Thanks, Kevin! Yes, I'm learning a lot. Today I learned that Satan absolutely hates it that we are going for this intentional lifestyle change we call Sabbath. He hates it and he is determined to try to screw it up in every way possible - from bad dreams to short fuses to whining children to slow traffic to long lines to messed up plans. . .he tried hard to make today a disaster. But guess what. . .HE FAILED!

Today in a very round about way we ended up in Denver on the 16th Street Mall. . .



And we decided to give the girls the assignment of really watching the people and scenery around them as we walked. Denver, like any metropolitan city, is very diverse in its surroundings. There are businessmen and homeless, "red and yellow, black and white." I tried to be very intentional to look at the city with Jesus' eyes today and wow, was it eye opening.

We made a stop at Barnes and Noble where the girls picked out a book that matched each of our personalities. Though smiling, I can't say I was thrilled with their choice for me. . . :-)











Then we found ourselves a quiet corner and read a book about Martin Luther King Jr.



This was probably my favorite part of the day. All of a sudden, the pieces of the day started fitting together as we talked. . .all we had seen and heard and felt and experienced. . .equality and justice and frustration. . .somehow Jesus was working to knit together the moment. I have an idea he knew all along how fractured our day was going to start, but I love how he had a plan to still bring it all together.

We ended the day with a walk to the state capital, a bit of yummy Italian food, Starbucks for me, of course, and a ride on the city bus back to our car. Six hours before I would have never guessed that anything great would come of this day. . .we ended it sitting on the kitchen floor praying for each other and for our family (and for my nasty kitchen floor!). And it was good. I'm so happy we are doing this!

4 comments:

Jennifer Stair said...

What a great idea, Amy! I love your commitment to take a Sabbath each week--something pastor's families need so much. Thank you for sharing your Sabbaths with us (and giving me lots of good ideas for my own family). I've been so encouraged by you and the church planting wives FB group!

Anonymous said...

I'm married to "disney-world dad" too... don't worry about being little miss bossy, someone has to be the heavy in the family! :)

glad you had fun!

Nancy said...

I really look forward to Tuesdays and reading about your family time together. These are memories that will last a lifetime for all of you. God is using you, all of you, in a mighty way.

Claire Colon said...

I should have looked stubborn in that picture. here's one: :(