Texas Revisited

Way back in May 2006 I wrote this blog entry. . . .


This weekend was a journey "home." It was not the home of my childhood where family and friends of my past still live. And it was not the home where I live now and serve God with my husband and children. It was the home where my heart was born. It was the home of where I discovered myself and my God in a very life transforming way. It was the home of the most defining moments in my life. It is the home of my "heart friends" and "heart moms and dads." It is my mountaintop - where my heart is reminded of and stirred in the deepest way toward God. Being there gives me focus and warm fuzzies and peace and energy to go back to my true home and be better, live life, take risks and serve God - Northwood Church, Texas. God comforts my heart there.
This week Northwood came home to us. And last night I received all of those feeling of encouragement and blessing and comfort and being stirred toward God all over again.

As we sat around a bonfire under the Colorado sky last night I was surrounded by about 45 of the new and upcoming remnant that God is raising out of NorthWood. Sure, they were just kids - teenagers in almost every sense of the word. But as Jesus sat there with us last night it was obvious to me that at that very moment in time he had ordained that time and those kids as a very special gift to me and my family.

Even before time he knew that our family would be sitting in that Colorado field with a bunch of students from Texas, worshipping and praising him. God knew that he had many reasons for that night to happen. And he knew that one of those was to be a blessing and encouragement to a little family who needed it more than they even knew until that moment.

As I sat there surrounded by those kids and their voices as they truly worshipped the Father, I found myself being transported back to the time when God started tugging on mine and Kevin's heart to come out here to Colorado and tackle starting Cool River Church. I was sitting in the pews of NorthWood Church at that time. I had no idea where life was about to take me.

I had no idea of the overwhelming excitement of the journey ahead. I had no idea that God thought enough of us at that time to send us to a place that needs him so desperately. I had no idea of the things I would give up to be here. I had no idea of the sacrifices we would be asked to make. I had no idea of the blessings and transformation that was to come in my life. I had no idea of how it would all zap me some days.

And I had no idea until last night of the dryness that was in my soul from day to day trying to serve God in a place that is so far away from the heart of God. But God knew. He knew my heart. He knew exactly what I needed even when I had no clue. Last night I felt that dryness go away. I felt the Holy Spirit just wash over and refresh me once again. I felt God say to my spirit - "It is well. . .all is well. . .and tonight I am giving you the gift of filling you up again for the next leg of the journey. Enjoy it."

And enjoy it is what I did. I sat there surrounded by these adults and kids who love the Lord. I watched my own kids as they were right in the middle of something very special that was happening and it was as if they knew it, too. I think that even as little bitty girls they felt the peace and love of God at that moment.

So, to Northwood, again I say "thank you." Thank you for the heritage that you gave to our family. Thank you to the students and adults who were thinking about us enough to come and serve and visit here this week. Thank you NorthWood for coming home to us. Thank you, God, for always knowing what my heart needs. Thank you for the journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

You and Kevin are superstars in our eyes. You are an inspiration to us and truly inspired our kids last month. We are proud of you.
Mike Reed
NorthWood Church

Amy Colon said...

That means a lot, Mike! Thanks!