10 Years and Counting

Ten years ago today I said "I do."

I remember the excitement of it all. At that time in my life I believed that together Kevin and I could do anything. I had no fears. I had no worries. The life I had dreamed of was only beginning. I was niave - o, so niave. And I'm so glad that I was. The world was big and huge and together Kevin and I were going to set out to find our place in it.

Did we realize the world was big and huge on that day? Did we understand the hugeness of the journey we were about to begin? No - we thought that we were being rebels simply by adding a few different twists to our wedding ceremony that FBC, Princeton, had never experienced. We thought that we were shaking up the world by moving away to Texas - away from the home I had known all of my life. It was an exciting adventure. We felt brave and ready to go.

I suppose that how we began has progressively been the theme of our journey thus far - pushing the norms, bravely saying "yes" to God and moving forward another step. That mindset has brought us through many experiences over the last 10 years.

And looking back, I can do nothing more than stand amazed. Today, 10 years after saying, "I do," Kevin and I have now had some some fears. We have had some worries along the way. God has asked us to do some wild and crazy things. We have only started to understand the bigness of the world around us. Doors have opened wide and closed tightly. Fighting and frustration and all of those things that come with marriage have come our way just like they do with everyone else. We have learned more about eachother and about life than we ever realized that we needed to learn. We have had the priviledge of bringing three wonderful little girls into the journey with us. We have dreamed together. We have challenged eachother. We have helped eachother to overcome obstacles in our personal lives. We have made decisions together. We have lived life together.

And today I want to tell you, Kevin. . .together is the only place I would ever want to be. I really don't care where this life takes us. We have traveled many places together already. I'm sure there is more to come. Ten years is just the beginning. So today, please just know that I feel truly blessed and honored to travel by your side. Thank you for being a man that I can trust. Thank you for being a father that our children can count on. Thank you for loving me when I am unlovable and encouraging me when I am down. Thank you for allowing me to travel beside you as God moves you and opens up new opportunities every day.

In the next 10 years let's continue the journey of turning the world upside down together. Do I really understand what that means? Nope - but I can't wait to find out.

I love you, Kevin. Happy Anniversary!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Amy and Kevin on your 10th wedding anniversary! How well I remember that day. I will never forget the presence of the Holy Spirit that I felt during the ceremony. As your mom, I knew without a doubt that God had brought you and Kevin together, and that He had special plans for your lives. As I think back to that exciting August day, I never dreamed how much my own faith in God would be strengthened through these ten years of watching you and Kevin follow the Lord's leadership in your lives.