Today I Bought Sweatshirts!

I am so excited that fall is just around the corner. It is as if my summer has been a chaotic blur and everything within me is ready to shut down and settle into the coziness of fall. I noticed the first maple tree beginning to turn it's beautiful shade of crimson today. The night's are coming sooner and the crispness in the air that I am beginning to feel is so refreshing. School has begun and routine is here once again. aaahhh. . .it feels like relief.

But will life truly slow down for the Colon family? I seriously doubt it. Isn't there always something? As I write, Kevin is on the other side of the world involved in a huge world event. The Vietnamese government is discussing freedom of religion for the first time ever as a communist country. I would be crazy to think that this event will not have it's effects on the future of our church and family - who have both committed to share God's love in Vietnam. In some sense that I can't even fathom right now, it is going to be huge. And in the hugeness, I have no doubt that our family will continue to move through unexpected waters and uncharted territory.

Cool River is growing numerically. With growth comes change and with change comes challenges and with challenges come personal growth and formation. Wouldn't it be nice to think that one day we might "arrive" at some destination and just be able to sit back and breathe, saying, "wow, this is it!" But that is not reality. Life is fluid and ever-changing because God is always waiting to take us to the next level of his plan and purpose. Cool River is at a crossroads. It's not slowing down anytime soon.

So in the middle of it all, what is my greatest challenge? My greatest challenge is living in the moment. I so want to breathe slowly and "smell the flowers" with my children. I want to savour and truly celebrate Claire's victories of breaking through her shyness. I want to laugh with Olivia as she comes running to me with her Curious George panties on her head. I want to sit with Emma and share with her about the simple wonders of God's creation. I want to relax in the backyard with Kevin and dream about the future and be thankful for the blessings. In the middle of the craziness that we call life, I want to make sure that I don't miss the most important things - smiles and laughter and hugs and tickles. I want to read a good book just because it's enjoyable and not because I'm trying to learn something. I want to take a drive into the mountains with no particular destination in mind - just to stop along the way and enjoy the view. I want to spend time with God when there is no agenda that needs to be discussed.

Such simple desires - yet they are so often difficult to attain in the middle of the chaos. Lord, it's not necessarily that I want life to slow down. It's extremely exciting to be on this road that you have placed me. I just pray that as life happens that it does not pass by so rapidly that I miss you and all of the important things throughout the journey.

Today I bought sweatshirts for my girls. I can't believe it is already time to think about fall and winter being just around the corner. Buying warm clothes is just one thing that I can do to prepare us for the next season. Please, God, continue to prepare my heart for the next season of life that is coming up as well. Whatever I need to do to get ready - beyond just hanging on tightly for the ride - please let me know.

No comments: