FYI about Amy

Tonight I was thinking about this interesting fact about Amy that very few people know. Many people are clueless about this fact because it is more than likely quite irrelevent to anyone else but me. It is nothing earth shattering. Yet, as a young girl and even as an adult, this little known fact is possibly the marker in my life that helped to form me into the person that I am today.

You see the guy over there on the left? He's not an old boyfriend or a past youth pastor. He is not even a personal friend - though I have bought him dinner at Cracker Barrel before (long story). His name is Steven Curtis Chapman. "O yeah!," some of you might say. If you are a good church going teenager from the late 80's and 90's your mind might start singing to the tune of. . ."saddle up your horses, we've got a trail to blaze. . .this is the great adventure." Or maybe you have wedding memories of the song, "I will be here when the laughter turns to crying. . . ." Maybe you are thinking right about now, "what the heck is she talking about??!!" Please forgive my rambling.

Some people were raised on U2, Cindy Lauper and Guns and Roses. Others of us were sheltered in the Christian Contemporary music world of 4 Him, Amy Grant, Rich Mullins and Steven Curtis Chapman. Maybe it was because I lived so close to Nashville as a kid and college student that I was drawn to these Christian artists (and country heroes as well, if you must know). Maybe it's because on my first day in youth choir with Wayne Causey he plopped a red and white book in front of me with this guys name on it and made us sing every song time and time again. But my best guess is that God had a plan even in the music that was to come out of a teenagers tape player or a youth choir's Sunday night special. It was a plan that would serve to change the heart of a young believer. It was a purpose to disciple a young girl who had never really had that awesome Sunday school teacher or mentor to guide her in the right direction.

I remember so many nights when I sat at the crossroads of life changing decisions and God allowed the word's of SCChapman's music fill my mind and my heart. Those words touch me even today. He has discipled me and taught me more about God and life and love and risk and stillness, the ride and the adventure of life, than absolutely anyone else. Or should I say that God has taught me those things through him.

And he's a guy who does not even know my name. Sure, I have met Steven Curtis Chapman before. I have been to numerous concerts. I have followed his life and watched as God has used him in so many ways. But he is just a guy. He is a voice once wound up in my tape player and now stored away neatly in my ipod. But that voice will always be such a sweet comfort over me and my life. I listen to his music and I discover myself again. I once found the "Amy" that God created me to be in the midst of his songs. It almost seems crazy, but it is there that I can find her every single time - even today.

No comments: