What Happened?

I'm really not as addicted to Starbucks as it may seem from reading my recent blogs. Really. It's just the world that I live in. In Superior I am surrounded by the lifestyle of technology, fitness, outdoors, "Green," $ (or lack of it) and yes. . .Starbucks.
It's the social hangout. It's were you go to meet your friends. It's where business men and women go to work and relax and get their next shot to help them through the day. It's where we do Bible studies and book clubs. It's culture. And yes, no matter how hard I try not to some days, I have learned pretty well how to morph into my Starbucks world.

I realized this in a huge way last night as I was confronted for the first time with the new Starbucks cup. Laugh and laugh as much as you wish, but I bet some of you reading this have experienced a similar shock if you have patroned your local Starbucks this week. This new cup bothered me so much that I had to do some research on it this morning. You can read my findings here if you care.

Anyway, to sum it up, Starbucks is going for the shock factor with their new cup. They are going retro to shake things up a bit. They are trying to create conversation. And obviously it is working. But what bothered me the most about my experience last night was how something as insignificant as a cup had such a quick and shocking effect on me. It's ridiculous. We are talking brown water here! And yet it struck something inside of me and I'm not completely sure why. Maybe because it rattled my predictable world.

So this morning I am thinking. . .how is it that something as insignificant as a cup of coffee can rattle me so much? And how is it that every day when I am faced with so many injustices - so much sadness around me - so many people in need and so many people without hope - those things don't prompt me to do something. Those things don't rattle me enough to Google them. Those things don't shake me enough to relentlessly strive to make a difference. But a cup of coffee. . .I can spend hours of useless time on that one. Doesn't make sense, does it?

I'm gonna think on this some more and add to this blog after I get some good answers. Until then, I'd love to hear your comments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Goooood, Gooooood stuff, Amy. Thanks for writing this! The cup shook you up and your blog shook ME up!