New Beginnings

Happy 2007! With only a few hours to go, I suppose it would be appropriate to spend a little bit of time reflecting on 2006 and dreaming about what 2007 might be. I just love new beginnings. Kevin has always said to me that I am a great starter. So this time of year really excites me. A fresh new calendar, a clean slate. . .that feeling like you had back in school when you opened up a brand new, fresh, clean notebook for the very first time. . .so many possibilities.

2006 has been a great year for the Colon family. I can't say that there has been any tremendously huge drama. We have ridden the ride of Cool River for another year. God has blessed and grown that entire community. We have made some new friends and grown closer to many old ones.

As a family we have traveled a lot. Kevin went to Vietnam twice and I finally got to return again after 7 years of longing to be back there. We spent a week in Glorietta, New Mexico, and made it back home to Kentucky 2 times.

Emma turned 7 and we have successfully made it through the first semester of second grade homeschooling. She made the decision to follow Jesus this fall and become a Christian. That was this years biggest blessing for our family. Claire turned 5 and has made really big steps toward overcoming her shyness. I see her coming into her own unique personality as 2007 begins. Olivia is simply a pleasant, adorable 3 year old with a mind of her own.

I can't say that I have and regrets as 2006 ends. Are there many things to improve in 2007? Absolutely! For one, I want Kevin to be able to say that not only am I a good starter but a good finisher. There is going to be a great opportunity to be just that as I will be serving as the interim children's pastor at church this year. 2007 is going to be a great juggling act. Between homeschool, raising a family, church, this new job, going back to Vietnam, family time and "me" time, it is going to be a year spent like never before. It almost feels as if we are stepping back in time to those seminary days in Ft. Worth when so much was happening as Kevin and I were trying to do church and family and finish our degrees. But what an incredible time that was! Hard - but so worth the work. These are my expectations for the new year as well. Hopefully I am even better prepared today for the challenge.

So what is the mark of a successful year? - to look back and see that I have grown. . . to see that I am not where I was this time last year. . .to see that I have not taken steps backward but made strides forward. Have I stumbled along the way? More than I would like to admit. But in the end, I am pleased and I am ready for yet another new start. I can't wait to write again next year at this same time. I'm sure I could not even begin to imagine what lies ahead.

New Year's Resolution? I don't even bother making those because I always break them at about week 2. But new year's goals and dreams. . .here's a few.

To dream bigger.

To trust God more and spend even more time studying.

To worry less.

To win the reading war with Kevin - we are planning to see who can read the most books this year. Last year I read over 25 so my goal is at least 30.

To return to Vietnam - the dream would be to go as a family, but that would be a big God thing if it became possible.

To mentor and build more meaningful friendships.

To serve and finish well with Cool River Kids.

Go on a mini "Amy" vacation

To be more purposeful in spending quality fun time with my girls.

To continue date night with Kevin and plan a mini vacation just for the two of us.

I'm sure there are many other things to dream of and hope for. I can't even imagine them all because I have no idea what the future holds. As I write throughout the next year, I'm sure there will be many goals accomplished and many surprises realized. Here we go. . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate. I am a WONDERFUL starter!
I managed to stumble on your site via your husband's site, via your church website, via google maps :)
We just moved to the area and I am trying to find a church for our family. Its pretty sweet to run across a homeschooling bookaholic mom's blog :) I don't find many others out there besides mine, lol. Pretty cool. Maybe we'll see you on Sunday :)
Best wishes for the New Year!