Christmas Morning

More memories. . .

Christmas morning in my house growing up was always very peaceful. Christmas music would be playing when I awoke and Mom would always try to give me hot chocolate that I was much too excited to ever drink. It was never any huge production. I really like that. Because I grew up and only child, everything was always very calm and orderly - very unlike Christmas mornings at my house today. You know, I never understood until I became a parent the whole deal about why my mom and dad waited so long to open their own gifts on Christmas morning. I was always more than ready to tear into mine. I would open everything and have it all arranged just perfectly so that I could then sit back and observe all that I had received and my parents would still have a pile of gifts wrapped neatly at their feet. But I get it now. I'm just like them now. The gifts for me mean very little in comparison to the opportunity to watch the expressions on my girls' faces as they open their own.

Next, it was time to get dressed and go to Katie and Pappy's house. You know, I was a little girl when Pappy was with us for Christmas. I don't remember a lot. But in my mind I can still see him at the head of the table for Christmas morning breakfast. It was always a breakfast with all the trimmings - especially country ham. But the gifts had to come first. I remember Nancy still dressed in some long, cozy extra warm gown and robe (she was always so cold!) sitting in the middle of the floor with me as we passed out presents together. Just like Mom and Dad, Katie and Mamaw would watch and watch as everyone else opened their gifts. Then we would have to wait another fifteen minutes for them to finally open theirs. Santa visited so many houses when I was a kid. I wonder how he ever knew that I was going to be coming to them all? Every place I went I had a gift that said "from Santa" on the tag. I eventually figured it out that that usually meant "from Katie" instead. Surely the real Santa would not give Dad and Wayne underwear and socks.

The day ended with a meal once again (we ate a lot) at Grandma and Papaw's house. And that was Christmas. It was a wonderful time. Christmas as a kid will always be some of my very best memories. So to Mom and Dad, Katie and Pappy, Nancy and Wayne, Mamaw and Aaron, Willa, Jack and Rose, Grandma and Papaw, Ma, Kay, Gay, Jeff and all the family - thank you from the bottom of my heart for the memories. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for providing me a great foundation - a wonderful and healthy start. Thank you for the security of home and happiness. Thank you for investing in me and loving me. I miss you!

And when Emma, Claire and Olivia grow up I hope that they will also be able to look back and remember all the little things and all the love that they found in their holiday traditions, too. It's not easy to be so far away from "home" this time of year. But I am blessed and thankful for all the new memories I get to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I loved reading the memories from your childhood! You were sure blessed with some wonderful parents and extended family there in good old Caldwell County! We made some great memories this year as Andrew and wife Emily came from BG joining Joanna and new hubby, Nate, came from Dallas - all here for Christmas. We pray God's blessing on you, Kevin and the girls in '07.
Wayne and Carrie