Significance

The last few days have been a whirlwind. We have had friends visiting from Texas and a weekend away in the Springs. Then on top of it all (and the best part), it was church as usual today. Lord, thank you for the stamina to lead the life that you have placed before me.

So often it seeems as if we as Americans almost thrive on the stress and busyness of our lives. It's like we almost feel less significant in some way if we don't have a million things on our "to do list" to juggle and talk about. We complain about busyness, and yet we live for it.

I fall into this catagory way too often. I say that I wish life would slow down. I am mindful of days when life was more simplistic. But when it comes down to it, is it slowing down that I really want? No. I tend to think that it is significance - the knowing that all of the wheel spinning has been worthwhile. The pace of life has become the norm. But at the end of the day, have I truly done something of significance? Some days, yes. Many - no. . .

Luckily, this weekend I was reminded once again of the significance of starting Cool River. As I sat in a room filled with many other couples from Colorado who are doing the life of church planting just as Kevin and I are, I was reminded of God's purpose and call and vision. I was reminded of the significance of the daily hustle and bustle of developing a community of faith in Superior. I was reminded of the eternal lives at stake. I gained perspective once again.

We stayed at a castle when we were with all of these other church planters. It was a beautiful place nestled in the mountains. And we were surrounded for 2 days by people who were much like Kevin and myself and at the same time, as different as night and day from us. It was very interesting. We all had the same "call" from the Lord - to help to bring others into the Kingdom, to make disciples and bring a community of faith to the location that God had called us. But much of the commonality stopped there.

These days there are so many different genres of "church" happening that the average person's head might be sent swimming into confusion. I say that because I am average and I have a headache. There is the ever traditional church (that one is now being called "legacy" style church, by the way). There is contemporary church and seeker sensitive church and cell church and house church. There is good old Southern Baptist hymn singing church all the way to church that is so much on the edge of style that I don't even know what they call it. Churches meet in schools and buildings and crystal cathedrals and homes. Then to top it all off, you take all of those different types of communities of Christian faith and pair them up with the people that God created so uniquely different to lead them. . .and you really do have huge ball of confusion. And yet, it can be a beautiful confusion if we are careful not to think too highly of ourselves and our own preferences and realize that God's church is just as unique as God's creation.

And the really cool part of it all is that there is significance to be found in them all. I get so tired of one practitioner trying to convince me that his style is truly the most holy and biblical of them all. I get so tired of the complaining that comes from the person set so much in their own ways that they can't imagine God ever moving anywhere outside of where their brains might be able to comprehend. The way I see it is if at the end of the day the presence of the Holy Spirit was known and people are coming to know the Lord in a truely relational way that brings about life transformation, then it can't matter how or when or where "church" was done. The significance is found in the fruit of the labor. If God can bless and use a man like Billy Graham as well as a rock star like Bono and a 25 year old little Vietnamese guy in the Northern mountains Vietnam - all who are radically different - to spread the truth of the saving grace of God, then I should assume that he can use any style of church to do the same.

Now I am no scholar on this matter - thank God. I'm sure that some would try their best to shoot holes in all of my thoughts. But aren't you glad that God chooses to give significance and honor to all of those who are striving with the purest heart possible to serve him, even though they might be different from us?

You know, I got frustrated a lot this weekend as pastors with good hearts took perch upon their soapboxes to rally the troops over to their side of the fence. Many (not all) house church people think that they have recovered an approach that will truly bring us back to the roots of the first century church in it's purest form and everyone else is chugging down the wrong path to true disciple making. Organized church people can't fathom letting go of their systems that they have known for so many years. All are doing phenominal things for the Kingdom. All are flawed. All stand testimony to the diversity of God the Father. There is significance in them all. If done by the leading of the Holy Spirit, all play their part in God's divine plan to draw his creation to himself.

So, is all this daily wheel spinning significant? Absolutely. Do we ever get off track? Absolutely. Is there room for complaining about our fellow worker in Christ and lobbying for people called of God to start a church to jump on board with the latest new trend? No way! Eternity is at stake. God's creation is diverse. God's call is unique to each individual. The world is full of many different people. Thank goodness that significance is not granted by sinful people like me. The blessing is given at the end of the day when our heads hit the pillow and we hear the Holy Spirit quietly whisper "well done."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, good thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. Hearing you speak made me remember a song we did in youth choir 20 years ago.... "the journey is our home". I'm praying for you on your journey, Amy. God be with you, friend.
Wayne C.