Adventures in Homeschooling

Today is a big day. Only last week Emma officially finished first grade. It has truly been so much fun. She is a great student and has made my first attempt at homeschooling a joy - most days. Yes, we have had plenty days of fighting it out in order to get the work done. But as soon as I am able to convince her that she does not have any other options than to sit until everything is finished, she does well.

I'm still not as creative as I would like to be as a teacher, but I continue to work on it. I look forward to the day that I have 3 kids around the table all doing their work at the same time, instead of one trying to work, another needing a snack and another standing on top of the kitchen table begging for a piece of gum. Then again, that will mean that my babies are growing up and getting older. So I suppose that day will be both bitter and sweet.

But for today, Emma has started in on second grade. We are going to take it extremely slow through the summer and take lots of breaks. Yet, I plan to continue - more than anything because I need something to occupy her time. To stop for a couple of months would really throw off the dynamics in our household just as we are getting into the routine of things.

So. . .wish me luck. I will also begin teaching Claire to read very soon.

No comments: