Write a Book? You've Got to Be Crazy!

Do you know that if you were to patron any Christian bookstore today you would be hard pressed to find ANYTHING that speaks to the heart of a church planter's WIFE? There are book upon book written to the guy who plans to start a church in today's society - how to's, leadership, the postmodern church, the emerging church. But what about us wives? We tend to just get thrown into the ballgame without ever having attended even one practice session. What's up with that? I'm so curious to know why this issue has been overlooked.

I have a great friend who lives in Texas. For quite a few years now she has been organizing and providing a conference for CP wives in various parts of the nation. I have attended quite a few of them and even assisted her in providing one for my state. It has been an incredible ministry. And the thing that amazes me the most every time that I attend is the longing in the hearts of each woman there to connect with other women who are living the same unique life.

There is no other pastor's wife life in the world that compares to that of a church planter wife. The struggles, the hours, the commitment, the faith. . . . And the sad thing is that as church planting efforts continue to grow, daily there are more women whom are being added to the ranks that have no other woman to share that life with. Many can not attend a conference unless it happens to be located at their back door. Many don't even know the name of someone to call when times get tough. Many have such little preparation that they might even tend to think that they are the only ones experiencing the ups and downs that they have daily.

SO. . . what does this mean to me? What is God telling me? Why does this bother me so much all of a sudden? Kevin always talks about this "holy discontent" that happens in the life of a believer when God is prompting them to do something. I'm almost scared that this is mine - scared, but excited. God, do I have it in me to write a book? Is there any real value in that? Are my experiences worthy of writing about - much less being read by someone else? All I know is that something needs to be done to help these ladies. A book is cheaper and more accessible than a conference. And, if I could help one wife and family to finish well then it might just be worthwhile. Hmmmm. . .We'll see.

2 comments:

Amy Colon said...

I enjoy reading your stuff so much. I can't wait to read your book! I'm excited about your 'holy discontent.' Go get 'em!

PS--I stole that phrase from Billy Hybels.

Unknown said...

Sorry Amy...I was logged in under your name.....I still meant what I said though!