A Zoo and Museum Day in Denver

This week for Sabbath we decided to take advantage of some of the fun that Denver has to offer. Even though it's only 20 minutes away, it's not very often that we go in that direction. I am definitely a suburban girl. But, Monday we decided to really take it slow, have some yummy breakfast together, read the Bible, and then enjoy the cool early Spring weather with the animals and with each other in the city.

The best thing about having a zoo pass is that you can go any time you want and stay for as long or as little as you want without feeling guilty. It was chilly, but the animals were enjoying it. We took in about 1/3 of the sights and then retreated to the van. By far my favorite animal this time was the sea lion who had been wounded and was just being re-introduced to the other sea lions. He was saved on Laguna Beach in CA and was without back flippers. Watching him reminded me so much of how unbelievable God's creation is. He had been beaten up and yet he was still a fighter, swimming hard and fast as if nothing made him the least bit different from all of his other sea lion friends. Strange to say that I was inspired by a sea lion, but I think that's what it was. . .inspiration. I think he had heart and crazy energy and an excitement about a new lease on life. I wanna be more like that. . .living life to the fullest no matter what gets thrown my way.



After hanging out with the animals it was time for lunch. . .a true Amy prepared lunch of peanut butter and jelly, chips, strawberries and chocolate. Nothing but the best for my family!! :) Lucky for me, everything tastes better on a picnic. And picnic is exactly what we did. . .in the back of the van! We lowered the back seat and climbed in. It was most definitely the best meal I have had in a really long time!


I have said it over and over again as I have blogged Sabbath, but I don't think I will ever cease to be amazed at how fantastic family time and conversation can be if you really focus. It must be ridiculous how much we miss on the other 6 days of the week due to computers, iPhones, tv's and so many other distractions.

We ended the day at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Emma is always begging us to take her there. I reminded her that all of her asking finally payed off. It's a cool place. I'm not quite as appreciative of the sciences as my kids seem to be, but watching them makes it fun no matter what. Here are a few pictures from our time there.


Kevin and Emma, the scientists










Claire the walnut???? She's an antioxidant, of course.












Olivia was just all smiles

And me, well. . .I try to hide behind the camera as much as possible. :)

Another fun day!

And one more thing worth noting. . .as we continue to move into this journey with our family I am really starting to notice how the girls are getting much better attitudes and outlooks on what the day is all about. We are having less fussiness, and to be honest, they are the ones keeping Kevin and I in check now. "Remember, no electronics, Dad! Put your phone away, please!" I think we may have created monsters!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot some of my favorite parts.
--Cooking breakfast together.
--Reading Romans 1 as a family.
--Praying together and asking God to help us with the areas where we're sinful
--And at the Zoo...the focus on our Creative God and listening to the girls point out all the diversity that God made.
These days are amazing...NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!
I love being with you and the girls in a focused and intentional way.

Claire Colon said...

I loved going to the science museum. My favorite part there is expedition heath. It was really fun.