Colonial Days

Recently while Kevin was in Vietnam we wrapped up a unit study on "Colonial Days of Early America." I can't begin to tell you what a great time the girls and I had learning together. And I say "together" because I am completely convinced that I slept through elementary school as a kid. I'm not sure who is learning more, my kids or myself. Anyway, I thought I would share some photos with you of how Colonial Days happened at the Colon Elementary School before any more time passed. We have since moved onto the Revolutionary War, but knowing me it will be Easter before I get those pictures posted. So, enjoy for now...


We used Evan Moor history pockets and the good ol' public library as our guide through Colonial America.



And it worked out just perfectly that I had a few seasoned teachers in the house for a week to help us wrap everything up with all of these projects. Thanks Mom and Dad!
(they are both retired high school teachers)



Every little girl needs and apron before they start to cook!




A true Colonial Feast of country ham, johnny cakes, homemade apple butter and eggs...





Making slates with Pop...notice his cup of coffee...I've never seen him teach class without one! (but I bet he never taught with a cup as strong as mine)


Creative Quilt Making - I have fallen in love with fabric glue - no need to ever sew again!



And although Daniel Boone and Kentucky aren't technically "Colonial" I couldn't let the opportunity pass for my mom to teach a little Kentucky history to end the week.

Now, on to the American Revolution!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

oh my, I love homeschooling! (this week ;) We are doing a pilgrims/thanksgiving lapbook this month and I/we love it! The kiddos are learning things I didn't know and they are only 5 and 3! So fun to learn this way. Keep posting homeschool stuff. It really encourages me!

Anonymous said...

So the Colon's studied Colon...ial America. Funny how that worked out. I'll bet your mom and dad and a blast helping you out. What a great life to have be so close to the girls. Love you all and miss you.