Operation Christmas Child

Today Emma, Claire and I delivered the Operation Christmas Child boxes that we collected at Cool River. The total was 41 - not bad for a church of 120. It was a lot of fun to watch Emma and Claire unload the van and carry the boxes in one by one. Lord, I really do pray that as we continue to teach them and stress the importance of giving to others that they will get it. I have 3 little girls that are extremely blessed. They have family that loves them and would do anything to take care of them. They have toys and computers and books and friends. They have more than enough clothes to wear and shoes to keep their feet warm even in the coldest of winter. They are happy children.

Sometimes I just really don't get why God allows some people to have so much and some to have so little - especially children. It makes me think back to the children I have met in Vietnam. They are some of the happiest kids I have ever seen - and their happiness is different from Emma, Claire and Olivia's. Their happiness is dependent upon nothing else than the love and care of their family. They don't have toys and Gameboys and battery operated Barbie Hummers. They have each other. They find value in helping the family. They experience nature and God's surroundings daily. Sure, they have it tough - in our eyes. But they don't even know it. Their own life is all they know and they are content. It's all about perspective.

Lord, help Kevin and I during this holiday season to teach our kids more and more about caring for others and being happy just because they belong to a family and they belong to you. It is such a huge uphill battle - this holiday season that we have commercialized so much. I really want our girls to see the "true meaning" of the holidays. Make me wise in how to assist in bringing that about for them.

Merry Christmas to the kids who receive our three little shoe boxes! It's not much, but they are filled with love.

No comments: